Friday, May 15, 2015

OHA CEO KAMANA`O CRABBE REPLIES
Danner/Schatz Influence On DOI Revealed 

Aloha Melissa,

The fact is that I came to DC to attend the white house initiative for Asian Americans Native Hawaiians & Pacific Islanders in addition to other business related to OHA programs.

I will not be attending the roundtable discussion on Native Hawaiian education b/c I will be returning home in the morning. I am not aware any OHA sraff will be in attendance but if any would they would be from our DC bureau for purely understanding the issue & monitoring what DOI will do. OHA had no input in the organization of the roundtable & the subject matter although it was a matter we have worked on for the past 3 yrs..

I do not believe that it will discuss the rule making b/c the purpose of the roundtable was to share Native Hawaiian efforts re a waiver for NH language students related to testing. However I could be wrong since I was not informed by anyone while up here what was going to take place at the roundtable discussion.

I know Robin put out a press release re the roundtable yesterday but I do not know what will be discussed. I am also aware that other sources have confirmed that Robin worked w/Sen Schatz to influence DOI to release the administrative rules.

Our Public Policy staff will be analyzing the rules & implications for DHHL homesteaders. I am not aware of any strategy or plan by Robin to influence DOI re federal recognition.

I actually agree w/your concern that individuals are representing themselves on behalf of the big NH & the small nhs w/out any real authority. I spoke w/DHHL Director Jobie Masagatani on the matter. There will be a 60 day period to suit comments but I do not have that info on hand. We likely will put out a release on how & who to submit your comments to.

O wau iho no,

Kamana'opono