Thursday, August 28, 2014

DO YOU BELIEVE THEM?

OHA DISMISSES RUMORS THAT BOARD WANTS TO FIRE CRABBE

Honolulu Civil Beat - August 27, 2014

The Office of Hawaiian Affairs issued an unusual press release yesterday regarding its CEO, Kamana‘opono Crabbe.

“The Trustees are engaged in an annual performance evaluation of Ka Pouhana/CEO as required by OHA’s contract with Ka Pouhana/CEO,” stated Chairwoman Colette Machado.

“At its regular meeting on July 3rd, the trustees voted to hire a third-party professional consultant to assist the board with the 2nd year performance evaluation of Ka Pouhana/CEO to ensure objectivity and fairness.”

Machado added, “There is no clandestine plot by the trustees to terminate Ka Pouhana/CEO.”

Crabbe had this to say: “My annual performance review is part of my employment contract and I have been looking forward to it as it provides me with an opportunity to grow as Ka Pouhana. I have not asked anyone to write trustees to support me, nor do I believe such a campaign is warranted.”

He added, “Instead, I urge everyone to support our efforts to improve conditions for Native Hawaiians.”

OHA did not explain the origin of the rumors, but Crabbe has certainly been a controversial CEO.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser just this week reported that Crabbe is under fire regarding a memo from Hawaiian nationalist Keanu Sai.